I got myself a Garmin Montana 600 yesterday. It is pretty nice, so far. However, buying Garmin maps on-line is a pain. BitTorrent would be so much faster. I’ve now been installing this map for four hours, and I don’t see the end of it. The algorithm to estimate the time left seems rather interesting. Downloading 2379 MB would normally take less than fifteen minutes with my 100 Mbps connection.

Less than a minute left..
56 minutes left....

Garmin Colorado firmware 3.70

I thought Garmin had ended supporting the Colorado series. On the list of firmware versions there is only v3.52 beta from beginning of 2011. I was running v3.00 because of problems with anything greater. Now, however, I decided to install v3.52 beta as I wanted to try some custom maps. I already downloaded the v3.52 update but it was an .exe and I was working with a Mac, so it was time to update the WebUpdater software first.

Well.. Webupdater showed that I had v3.00 and the latest is v3.70! So, it seems Colorado still gets updates and the only way to know is to try the WebUpdater software.. Let’s see if v3.70 is better than v3.00…


Garmin Colorado firmware bugs

Despite my previous blog post, the real problem was in the Colorado’s firmware. Not realizing, but I had had the problem already for a while. I went from firmware 3.30 to 3.40, then back to 3.20 and to 3.00 before I got it working as it should. Now it seems to start up when I change the GPX files in the device. This is probably the first time ever when I had to go back to an old software version because the new one has bugs. With open source computer software somebody (if not yourself) writes a patch, now the only solution is to stay at 3.00 until Garmin fixes the problem in a future firmware version…