I wrote a dozen of shell scripts.
This enabled me to verify that importing photos from iPhoto to Aperture worked fine. Aperture even managed to store them as “referenced”, so I got back my directory structure with proper directory names. Phew…
Now I have directories “master” and “modified”, and “current”, which stores links to files in “modified” or “masters”, depending if a modified version exists. Now PS3 does not seem to like symbolic links via Mediatomb. Hard luck. I couldn’t care less. I will view my photos in the living room on my Mac Mini.
It seems that one could spend all waking hours on these things for the rest of one’s life and still everything would NOT WORK.